4.03.2006

Daylight Saving(s) Time

Daylight Saving Time snuck up on me again this year. I remember it being this huge news item in years past. This year it almost got by me completely. A random email from a friend that said “spring forward” at the end was the trigger event. Curious, I went to my home page, the SF Chron, and found NOTHING regarding the time change. So I went to my personal email home page and found NOTHING! You’d think they’d have this huge clock on their first page with something akin to

“The crazies in the world want to plunge the early morning risers into pitch black again. Change your clocks accordingly”

But no – nothing to clue me in. And I stopped my home delivery of the newspaper several months ago, after realizing we took it out of its plastic raincoat only to chuck it directly into our recycling bin nine times out of ten. (I still miss it occasionally, but not enough to warrant the waste – nor apparently, enough to go out and buy an individual one.)

So, off to google Daylight Savings Time and found that indeed, friend was right, I should spring forward my clocks. Also found that it is not Daylight SavingS time, but rather Daylight Saving Time, with a whole explanation why. I might have known that at one time, but really, who cares… we slept in until 9! Woo hoo! Sarcastic? Maybe a little.

Now I hear that next year, we will spend 8 months in DST and only 4 in ST, thanks to the brainiac in Washington signing some sort of legislation to allow us to become even more ridiculous than we already are. So why do we have ST at all? And if anyone can convince me of the benefit of this tradition we have of changing our clocks twice a year, I’d like to hear from you. And don't pull the farmer thing on me. You don't get extra sunshine by changing a clock.

Oh, and do you think the dogs sleep in on this end of the time change? ha. You don't have dogs.

No comments: