3.22.2006

I have a WHAT?

BK has been having some problems for a few months now after one particular hockey game where he either got tripped and fell (that DID happen, but it's not clearly the cause of this injury), or pulled/strained a muscle, or perhaps injured it getting thrown into the boards. Let me tell you, hockey is not a sport for wimps.

Anyway, we've been treating it like a sports injury, ice, ice, more ice, Advil, daily Advil, more ice, compression shorts etc. Doctor at annual exam said - good job, it's nothing torn or broken and not a chronic thing. He says it isn't getting worse, keep on keepin' on. 6 weeks later, he still can't get through an entire game without this leg giving out on him, he's skipped one tournament and a couple of practices, so on to the sports medicine doc we go.

So many big words! As my background is nursing, I do not cower from such things. In fact, I enjoy trying to remember them. But these ortho terms had my poor little brain pretty filled up. All I have now to remember is the physical therapy prescription, which unfortunately, doesn't measure up at all to the conversation.

Lumbar transitional vertebra by x-ray and grade 1 sport exam shows segmental instability and hemipelvis fixation. Needs core stability, glute recruitment, hip flexor training and strengthening.

Damn. Way too simple and clear. I wanted to share the ischial processes and the co-yadayada sacral mwah mwah doohickey angle that's more of an angle than it's supposed to be. It's pretty cool that he has this transitional verterbra which is part of his sacrum, but it wants to be a lumbar vertebra, so it tries, but then it's an extra and the rest of the lumbars don't really want its help at all. It doesn't really get in the way, but it can make things happen oddly. There were a very lot of really big words in that explanation. Reveling in my element, I vowed to relay each one when I got home.

But I have a 52 year old memory, and that means that I can more easily tell you what I ate at my grandma's house when I was three than what that physician really said. Or maybe it's because I've been translating physician-speak for so many years that, like another language, it goes in one ear and comes out the mouth in plain old English, and that's what the memory retains.

So bottom line is, some of his muscles in the down there region don't work the way they're supposed to. Some muscles rely on others to do the work while they sit around and knit. They need to be taught to work right and then he will have a wonderful hockey career.

So glad we invested in orthodontia.

No comments: